Apply for a provisional driving licence

Before you learn to drive, you must apply for a Provisional Licence For Sale Online. If you already hold a valid full uk provisional driving licence and want to add a higher category, you must first apply for provisional entitlement in the category you require.

Important information 

Due to the safety measures introduced to reduce the spread of Coronavirus (Covid-19), applications may take longer to process.

Apply for provisional entitlement for car, motorcycle or moped

You can apply for your provisional driving licence by completing the DL1 application form which is available from main Post Office branches (external link opens in a new window / tab)

  • Guidance notes for your DL1 driving licence application 

You will need to enclose original documents confirming your identity, a passport style colour photograph and the fee of £62.50.

Send your filled in application and payment to Driver Licensing at the address in the link below:

The provisional licence has a green plastic photocard and a green and pink paper counterpart.

How to pay

Bank notes or blank postal orders with your application; the DVA can’t be held responsible if they go missing.

  • Provisional Licence For Sale Online
  • make cheques or postal orders payable to ‘DVA’
  • do not post-date your cheque, DVA can’t accept it
  • sign and date your cheque and make it out for the right amount
  • the amount written in words must match the amount written in figures
  • write your full name, address, date of birth and/ or driver’s number if known on the back
  • if you underpay, your application will be returned to you for the right payment

Applying for provisional entitlement for larger vehicles, buses or minibuses

If you hold a valid full licence at this time and want to add provisional entitlement to drive large vehicles, minibuses or buses, you must fill in the DL2 application form and the DLM1 medical report form. DL2 application forms are available from main Post Office branches(external link opens in a new window / tab).

The DLM1 must be filled in by a doctor and you should make sure that all the relevant questions are answered. The doctor will normally charge you for filling in the report and those registered for VAT will also need to charge the current rate on top of their fee.

After a change in driver licensing rules, anyone who is under insulin control for their diabetes or has diabetes treated by tablets in the Sulphonylurea or Glinide class, may apply for or renew vocational entitlements to drive categories C1, C1E, D1, D1E, C, CE, D or DE.

There are three stages you need to go through when applying for or renewing the vocational entitlements shown above. Details of these stages can be found at the link below:

If you are applying for a passenger-carrying vehicle entitlement (PCV), that is minibuses or buses, a Basic Disclosure Certificate is also needed. 

You will also need to send a passport style colour photograph, your current driving licence and the fee of £20 (payable upon application for your first provisional entitlement in category C and your first provisional entitlement in category D).

The address to send this information to is at the link below:

Return of supporting documents

The driving licence fee includes the return of your identity documents (where applicable) by second class post. If you would like your supporting documents returned by secure delivery, include the right pre-paid Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope with your application.

Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) will not give compensation for any loss or delay resulting from the use of second class post

DVA cannot guarantee to return your documents by a set date, for example, a holiday

When to expect your licence

DVA aims to deliver your driving licence to you within three weeks of receiving your application. It may take longer if your health or personal details have to be checked.

You need to wait for your new licence to arrive before driving. Allow at least three weeks for your licence to arrive before contacting DVA.

If you don’t receive your licence

If your driving licence has not been delivered within four weeks, you should email DVA at the email address in the link below:

If you don’t let the DVA know within eight weeks that your licence has not arrived, you must apply for a replacement licence and pay £30.00. Follow the link below to find out how to apply:

You cannot copy content of this page

Scroll to Top